The Whelk-O 1 Chiral Stationary Phase is based on 1-(3,5-Dinitrobenzamido)- 1,2,3,4,-tetrahydrophenanthrene. This phase allows separation of racemates from a number of families including amides, epoxides, esters, ureas, carbamates, ethers, aziridines, phosphonates, aldehydes, ketones, carboxylic acids, and alcohols.
- Excellent method development column with applicability to a wide range of compound classes
- Alternate selectivity to polysaccharide chiral stationary phases
- Covalently bonded for long term performance and broad mobile phase compatibility
- Broad range of particle sizes and dimensions for analytical to preparative scale separations
- High loading capacity for excellent scalability in preparative applications
- Choice of enantiomeric phases allows inversion of peak elution order
- Recognized as USP L102
Whelk-O1 Selector Structure
The Whelk-O 1 was originally designed for the separation of underivatized non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). This π-electron acceptor/π- electron donor phase allows broad selectivity, allowing resolution of a wide variety of underivatized racemates. The broad versatility observed with the Whelk-O 1 column, compares favorably with polysaccharide-derived chiral stationary phases and in many cases offers alternate selectivity. In addition, because of its covalent nature, this chiral phase is compatible with all commonly used mobile phases, including aqueous systems—a distinct advantage over coated polysaccharide chiral stationary phases. Other advantages include column durability, excellent efficiency, elution order inversion, and excellent loading capacity. Whelk-O 1 is available in a full range of particle sizes (1.8-, 3.5-, 5-, 10-, 16-, and 20 μm) to serve small scale analytical separations up to large scale preparative work.
Inversion of elution order on (R,R) and (S,S) Whelk-O 1
Whelk-O 1 columns are available in both R,R and S,S configurations. Choosing one or the other allows for peak elution order to be inverted. This can be beneficial in preparative and process scale applications when needing to elute one peak of interest quickly.
View our Chiral Applications Database.
Request or download a free copy of our Chiral Handbook that contains more than 950 chiral separations.
Visit our Literature Library to download product information, application notes, and other technical resources.